Tablets in classrooms are becoming a more and more regular feature of the modern day classroom but why? When many people think of the iPad they probably think of children playing on Angry birds or Farmville. However iPads and schools really do go hand in hand.
In the last five or six years tablets have become more and more accessible to people and the numbers of iPads used in schools have surged.
So why do Tablets and schools go hand in hand?
1. World's biggest library: The three largest publishers, producing 90% of all textbooks used in schools are all partnering with Apple to sell digital versions. Apple gives you access to near enough every book in the world. What a resource to have in the classroom.
2. Interactive textbooks: With apps such as iBooks Author, students and teachers can create interactive textbooks featuring 3-D graphics, videos, and the ability to take notes. It has increased the level of learning through interaction and participation. This really adds a new a dimension to storytelling and allows the reader to interact with the story.
3. Mobility: Books were created to be mobile. Guess what so were iPads! , They are light, powerful and with the right case durable too
4. Personalise lessons plans for students with disabilities: By using the touch screen capability students who lack motor skills can actually watch their finger move and write directly on the screen, this greatly improves their fine motor skills.
5. Budget friendly: You no longer have to replace old textbooks, digital updates make this cheaper, easier and faster. Teachers also don’t have to worry about damaged or lost books as well, all of this saving money in the long run.
6. Speaking 'their' language: Students these days use tablets and mobile devices from an early age, some as early as 1 or 2 years old! By the time they are in school it’s second nature to use a tablet or mobile device. The iPad will keep their attention and resonate with students by aligning with how the new mobile generation wants to learn and communicate.
7. Ready for tomorrow: Students today need to be technology literate. iPads and tablets play a huge role in preparing our students for college, university and eventually their careers.
8. The future: Whether you like or not mobile is here and it’s only getting bigger and better. With 75% of students saying that technology helps them learn in class
9. Security: Apple has arguably created the most secure operating system available on mobile devices. Downloading apps is more secure and iOS provides great systematic protections for multiple devices
10. Ease of Use: iPads particularly seem to be extremely easy to use right out of the box. Apple has given the iOS a very streamlined, organised feel; you have everything you need, and it works!
It would be easy to write hundreds of reasons why iPads are so perfect in modern day classrooms. They are the essential teaching tool, which makes storytelling more of an interactive experience for the whole class.